Movement 2011 | Top 10 Moments
by Joshua P. Ferguson
Photos by Matt Reeves of Darkroom Demons
Given that Detroit's Movement Festival is three days of non-stop DJs and each day bleeds into a nights crowded with after parties (which sometimes bleed into the next day), attempting a comprehensive review is a fool's errand. Instead, here are a handful of the top moments that I witnessed while taking in the the techno-dominated sounds and technicolor sights of this year's event.
10) Having to stuff wads of a drink napkin in my ears to save them from the pounding onslaught of James Zabiela.
9) Ramadanman. Period.
8) Chatting with German techno star Ben Klock about the phenomenon that is Berlin's Berghain club.
7) Catching the lone drum 'n' bass set of the weekend, from the master of the genre, Goldie.
6) Dancing to Richie Hawtin and caring less that it's raining.
5) Sweating out one too many Red Bull and Vodkas while blissing out to Art Department at the Beatport stage.
4) Watching thousands freak out as Sven Vath drops Todd Terje's new single, "Ragysh." Guaranteed, this is the largest crowd to do so in the U.S.
3) Basking in the rays of an 8am sun at Visionquest's Need I Say More backyard party.
2) Being ushered through the kitchen of TV Bar and then up a rickety stair case to find a dilapidated side room bumping to the sounds of Detroit legend Stacey Pullen.
1) Hearing Heidi drop a remix of DJ Le Roi and Roland Clark's "I Get Deep" at 6am during the Spy Bar and Get Physical after-party.